My husband’s favourite dessert! He especially loves it when made with khoya. But, here in Hyderabad it is difficult to find fresh khoya. I subsitute it with milk powder and that works just fine.
Gajar ka Halwa
- 1 cup grated Carrot
- 2-3 cups Milk
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 5-6 tbsp Ghee
- ½ cup Milk Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1-2 sheets of Silver Varq (optional)
- Chopped Almonds, Raisins, Pista, Cashew
- In a pan, fry the grated carrots in ghee till the carrots go soft.
- Now add the milk. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes on low flame or till the carrots are completely cooked
- Add sugar and keep stiring till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add milk powder and mix well.
- Add the cardamom powder and again mix well.
- Add the nuts (keep a few aside for garnishing) and again mix well.
- Garnish the halwa with the reserved nuts and varq and serve warm or chilled.