As a child I use to love Orange Delight biscuits which were discontinued many many years ago. These cookies remind me of those biscuits and my childhood memories.
My daughter doesn’t like anything other than her favorite Chocolate Chunk cookies or so I thought, for she loved these cookies. The recipe is from The Cookie Writer and with pics like that I needed no more motivation. I made minor changes to the recipe by skipping the rolling-in-confectioners sugar part which gives the cookies a crinkle effect. I also substituted all-purpose flour with whole wheat.
Oh BTW next time I will go a wee bit crazy with the zest!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp. orange zest
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the butter and granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream until light and fluffy (5-7 minutes.)
- Add the vanilla extract, egg, orange zest and orange juice. Mix until combined.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the mixer ½ cup at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Measure out 1 tablespoonful balls.
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool for about 5 minutes on pan and then finish cooling on wire racks.