Cheese cakes! The hubby loves cheesecakes and has been after me to bake one for a long time now. But non-availability of cream cheese in Hyderabad, kept me away from baking one. I could make at home too, but me too lazy for that.
Britannia has recently introduced cream cheese in the market. Not the best of quality, but will do. I had some strawberries on hand which I combined with the cream cheese to make this yummy cheesecake. Here goes the recipe…
Recipe – Strawberry Cheese cake
Source – Adapted from All Recipes
- 1 Cup Biscuit crumbs ( I used Britannia Digestive, they make a good base)
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Butter (melted)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Can (400 ml) Condensed milk ( I used Amul Mithai Mate)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 500 grams Strawberries
- 540 grams Cream cheese ( Britannia has 180 g pack; I used 3 such packs)
- Springform Pan (8 '') - its a must! (If you stay in Hyderabad, it is available at Q - mart)
- In a bowl, mix together the biscuit crumbs and melted butter.
- Press firmly the crumble mixture onto the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Keep the pan in the fridge.
- In a mixer, blend the strawberries, sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour the purée into a pan and let it come to a boil. Switch off the flame. Let the mixture cool down.
- Keep about ½ cup mixture aside to serve along with the cheese cake.
- In another bigger bowl, mix the cream cheese and condensed milk with an electric beater. Do not overbeat the mixture.
- Add lemon juice and mix well with a spatula.
- Now add the eggs and beat the mixture on the lowest setting of your electric beater.
- Take the pan out of your fridge and pour half of the cream cheese mixture over the crust.
- Drop half of the strawberry mixture by ½ teaspoonfuls onto cream cheese layer.
- Carefully spoon remaining cream cheese mixture over the strawberry sauce.
- Drop remaining strawberry sauce by ½ teaspoonfuls on top. With a knife, cut through top layer only to swirl strawberry sauce.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for 45-50 minutes or until the center is almost set.
- Remove from pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve with the reserved strawberry sauce.